Humourous Advice - 26 Tips for Surviving Grade 6
Becky Lennox wrote the book on getting through grade six, but these aren't the kinds of tips that come from school books or teachers...
Forget social studies, math, and science - this novel is about surviving some of the real problems tween girls face in the sixth grade: jealous friends, first crushes, embarrassing parents, and annoying older brothers.
Did you ever work for weeks to master a skill, then watch your best friend ace it on her first try? Did you ever do a “group project” all by yourself because your homework partner was too busy flirting with your brother? Did you ever have to spend the entire Christmas break entertaining your housebound grandmother in the middle of nowhere? Did you ever jump to a conclusion, make an idiot of yourself, and totally mess things up?
Becky Lennox does all these things in sixth grade, and she tells all about it with honesty and humour in five interconnected stories. If you take her tips, maybe you'll learn how to avoid the worst of it. Or at least learn how to laugh at your mistakes.
Perfect for girlfriends, comedy lovers, and reluctant readers.
Awards and Honours
Winner of the 2012 Quebec Writers' Federation Prize for Children's and Young Adult Literature.
Winner of the 2012-2013 Hackmatack Children's Choice Book Award in the English fiction category.
"Delightful and spot on for the middle grade experience..." (Just Deb book blog).
"[A] simply told yet fast-paced and colourful blend of humour and drama....This book will certainly appeal to female readers....Highly Recommended." (CM Magazine)
Juvenile Fiction (ages 9-13)
- 128 pages, available in hard cover, paperback, or e-book editions
- Themes: Humourous stories; girls & women; friendships; jealousy
- Published Fall 2011; ISBN-13: 978-1-55277-925-5
- the publisher, James Lorimer & Company;
- an online retailer including: Amazon (Canada) or Amazon (USA); Chapters (Canada); McNally Robinson (Canada); or Barnes & Noble (USA);
- or your local independent bookstore. Find one at Indie Store Finder.(If your local bookstore doesn't carry a title, just ask and they will order it for you - with no shipping costs to you, and you'll probably have it in just a week.)
Buy a Copy
You can purchase a copy of 26 Tips for Surviving Grade 6 from:
Or you can find a copy at your local library. (If your local library doesn't carry a title, ask and they may purchase it for their collection or find you a copy via interlibrary loan.)
If you're really stuck, I can probably lend you my copy.